Banana Nutella Muffins: A Perfect Combination of Sweetness and Texture
These delicious banana nutella muffins are perfect for breakfast, brunch, or just as a snack any time of the day.
The links in this post may be affiliate links. That means that if you click them and make a purchase, this site makes a commission. It will have no impact on the price you pay or the experience of your purchase.
Who doesn't love a delicious muffin? And when you combine the sweetness of bananas with the rich chocolate hazelnut flavor of Nutella, you get a heavenly treat that will make your taste buds dance with joy.
The recipe for these muffins is simple and straightforward. You'll need just a few basic ingredients, some ripe bananas, and of course, a jar of Nutella. Here's how to make them:
Ingredients For Banana Nutella Muffins
- 3 medium bananas, mashed
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Nutella
Instructions For Making These Muffins
Start by preheating your oven to 375°F and line a muffin tin with paper cupcake liners or grease with cooking spray.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the wet ingredients – the mashed bananas, vegetable oil, brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract. Mix these ingredients well until everything is well combined and smooth.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
Then add the dry ingredients to the banana mixture, and stir until everything is just combined. Be careful not to overmix, as this can make the muffins tough.
Add the Nutella to the batter, and use a spatula or butter knife to gently swirl it into the batter, which creates a marbled effect.
Using an ice cream scoop, cookie scoop, or spoon, fill each muffin cup in the prepared muffin tin about two-thirds full with the batter.
Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
Allow the muffins to cool for a few minutes in the pan, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
How do you know if bananas are ripe enough to bake with?
Ripe bananas are best for baking as they are sweeter and easier to mash.
Here are some ways to determine if bananas are ripe enough to bake with:
As bananas ripen, their skin turns from green to yellow and eventually brown. For baking purposes, look for bananas that are mostly yellow with brown spots. The brown bananas are the the riper and sweeter ones.
Ripe bananas should feel soft and slightly squishy when you press them with your fingers. If they are firm or hard, they are not yet ripe enough for baking.
Ripe bananas emit a sweet, fruity smell. If the banana smells slightly sour or tangy, it is not yet ripe enough.
If you're still unsure if a banana is ripe enough, taste a small piece. Ripe bananas are sweet and slightly tangy, while unripe bananas are more starchy and bitter.
For baking purposes, look for bananas that are mostly yellow with brown spots, feel soft to the touch, emit a sweet smell, and taste sweet and slightly tangy.
Overripe bananas with completely brown skin are also great for baking as they are extremely sweet and easy to mash, but may be too soft for eating.
Why do you need to let muffins cool on a wire rack?
It's important to let muffins (and other baked goods) cool on a wire rack for several reasons:
- Prevents Sogginess: Cooling muffins on a wire rack allows air to circulate around the muffins, which helps to prevent sogginess. If you leave muffins in the muffin tin to cool, the heat and moisture can become trapped inside the tin, making the muffins damp and sticky.
- Even Cooling: A wire rack ensures that muffins cool evenly on all sides. If you place muffins on a solid surface while they are still warm, the bottom of the muffin may become flattened or moist due to contact with the surface.
- Crispiness: Allowing muffins to cool on a wire rack also helps to retain their crispy texture. If you leave muffins in the muffin tin, they can become steamed, which can soften the outer crust.
- Cleanliness: A wire rack also helps to keep your baked goods clean and hygienic. If you place muffins on a solid surface, they may stick to the surface, causing them to tear or break when you try to remove them. A wire rack provides a non-stick surface for the muffins to cool on, reducing the risk of damage.
Allowing muffins to cool on a wire rack is essential for ensuring that they cool evenly, retain their texture and shape, and remain hygienic.
Are These Muffins Vegan?
No, this recipe is not vegan.
It contains eggs and Nutella, which are not vegan ingredients. Additionally, some vegans choose to avoid brown sugar, as it is often processed with bone char.
How To Make This Recipe Vegan?
To make this recipe vegan, you could substitute the eggs with a vegan egg substitute such as flax eggs or applesauce, and use a vegan hazelnut chocolate spread instead of Nutella. You could also use a vegan-friendly sweetener such as maple syrup or agave nectar in place of brown sugar.
What are some potential mix-ins for this recipe?
This banana Nutella muffin recipe is delicious as is, but there are many potential mix-ins that you can add to make it even more interesting. Here are some ideas:
Walnuts, pecans, or almonds would be a great addition to these muffins. They would add some crunch and nuttiness to the already delicious Nutella flavor.
If you want to double down on the chocolate flavor, you can add some chocolate chips to the muffin batter. Use semisweet or dark chocolate chips for a more intense chocolate flavor.
Dried cranberries, cherries, or raisins would add a nice pop of flavor and texture to these muffins.
Adding some warm spices like cinnamon or nutmeg would give these muffins a cozy fall flavor.
If you like coconut, you can add some shredded coconut to the muffin batter. It would add some texture and tropical flavor.
Drizzling some caramel sauce over the top of the muffins would add some sweetness and indulgence to these already decadent muffins.
There are many potential mix-ins that you can add to this banana Nutella muffin recipe. Adding chopped nuts, chocolate chips, dried fruit, spices, coconut, or caramel would take these muffins to the next level. Feel free to experiment and find your favorite combination of mix-ins.
What is the best way to store these banana nutella muffins?
To keep these super moist banana muffins fresh for as long as possible, it's important to store them properly.
Here are some tips for storing banana muffins:
- Cool Completely: Before storing your delicious banana muffins, make sure they are completely cooled. Warm muffins can create condensation, which can cause them to become soggy.
- Air Tight Container: Place the cooled muffins in an airtight container. This will help to keep them fresh by preventing air from circulating around them, which can cause them to dry out.
- Room Temperature: Store the container of muffins at room temperature. Avoid storing them in the fridge, as this can cause them to dry out and become stale.
- Freeze: If you want to store your banana muffins for a longer period, you can freeze them. Wrap each muffin individually in plastic wrap or aluminum foil and place them in a freezer bag. Make sure to remove as much air as possible before sealing the bag. Frozen muffins can be stored for up to 3 months.
To store banana muffins, allow them to cool completely, place them in an airtight container, store them at room temperature, and freeze them if you want to store them for a longer period. By following these tips, you can help to keep your banana muffins fresh and delicious for longer.
These moist muffins are tender, thanks to the mashed bananas and vegetable oil.
The Nutella adds a rich, chocolatey flavor and a creamy texture that pairs perfectly with the banana. And the best part? They're easy to make, so you can whip up a batch in no time.
Whether you're looking for a sweet breakfast treat, and not in the form of pancakes or waffles; a snack to share with friends, or just something to satisfy your sweet tooth, these Banana Nutella Muffins are sure to hit the spot.
So go ahead and give them a try – your taste buds will thank you! And if they do, please leave a five star rating below!